Wednesday, December 31, 2008

According to the Mayans we have 4 years left. Happy New Year!


Sorry for the header -- the history channel's negativity astounds me. Anyway, Just a little shoutout. I'll be hanging with family because, as my brother Drew put it, "I'm not driving around on amateur night." Brilliant. Here's a follow up to my Narnia Christmas post from Lord Somber. This is why I dig the Somber one -- he gently checks me, unapologetically, and I generally learn something from it. People who expect you to grow are a good thing. This is a good article, all about how the "mainstream" (I don't even know what this means anymore...) media, for all their promotion of diversity of opinion -- and their willingness to lynch those they see as not sophisticated enough to do the same -- is remarkably closed-minded when it comes to deviations from their version of diversity. I know, it's a contradiction. Try explaining that though and you risk concerted efforts to besmirch your good name. Never argue with small-minded people of any stripe. Just tell them they are entitled to their opinion -- I think I'm going to read "Crimes Against Logic" -- smile and walk away.

"And for anybody who has spent more than about three months in these United States to find our level of faith "surprising" is for that person not just to be so unobservant as to be wholly unsuited for reporting, but to be almost willfully blind and deaf to the religious dimension of the lives most Americans lead."

For the record, I recognized the similarities between the Narnia stories and the Scriptural stories but didn't even know what an apologist was until I was in High School. That's what I mean about not understanding the allegory -- allegories are literary constructs and I just hadn't learned what those were when I was 8 or 9. Keep me in line Somber.

Happy New Year people. Be safe.

UPDATE: Just to round out my CS Lewis postings, here's the first paragraph from the third book -- the one Disney just dropped financially -- and one of the very many reasons I love this writer:

"There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it. His parents called him Eustace Clarence and masters called him Scrubb. I can't tell you how his friends spoke to him, for he had none. He didn't call his Father and Mother "Father" and "Mother," but Harold and Alberta. They were very up-to-date and advanced people. They were vegetarians, non-smokers and teetotalers and wore a special kind of underclothes. In their house there was very little furniture and very few clothes on beds and the windows were always open."

Genius.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

You talkin' to me?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home