Monday, December 22, 2008

Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

I got a new phone so pardon the cruddy quality of the picture while I figure out how to make pretty pictures with it. I want to introduce you to Elvis Candy Present. Back in the mid 90s, one of my best high school friends (some of you may know her as Annette) and I decided that we would no longer exchange Christmas gifts because it was a hassle trying to figure out what to get and Annette always felt bad for regifting me. So, in order to assuage her guilt and give me a smidge more time wherein I could refrain from making any kind of decision, we purchased Elvis Candy Present. Elvis Candy is a tin of Russell Stover Chocolates -- still in the original shrink-wrap -- that Annette and I exchange at Christmas time. When she has it, she wraps it and gives it to me. When I have it, I do the same. It doesn't happen every year, just when we remember. I've had it for about three years now so I think it's time to let it live with her for a little while again. This kind of gifting makes for awesome Christmas card notes. "So you won't have a blue Christmas" or "A Happy Holidays (said in Elvis voice)." We made a pact that if we both make it to old age we're opening that tin together. By that point the chocolates will be dust I'm sure -- I think the sell-by date is around 1996 -- but we'll laugh about how that tin of dust kept us friends all these years.

Annette, Elvis is in the mail.

And I totally and completely agree with this post. I've never seen the two minutes following Clark shooting down the snow hill with a trail of fire coming from his saucer sled because I laugh so hard I can't see through my tears or hear over my howling. I think he ends up in a Wal-Mart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

You talkin' to me?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home