Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Can you see him now?


When I was a kid I read all of CS Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia. A couple of times in fact. I loved them and was blissfully unaware they were Christian allegory until much, much later. When I discovered the metaphor I put them away for awhile because I put all of the rules of my upbringing away for a while until I could make a few mistakes and get a feel for what it meant to sail alone. And feel it I did. It is both a blessing and curse to be a sensualist; that is to say, to need to feel and experience everything before I believe it. This aspect of my being has led to a great number of the little wrinkles I see in my face today. But it has also led to a person who shocked an old high school friend last night by not being the most cynical person at the table. Oddly, for me anyway, tribulation led to hope and a general positive outlook that life can be handled. And there's always help there for the asking.




I say all that to say this: I saw the newest CofN movie last night. It was my favorite of the books because there wasn't one heroic character from any book I read or film I saw that I did not fall hopelessly in love with. It never mattered what they looked like -- it was the heroism I loved. And Prince Caspian, purrr... And the movie was so, so good. I love the symbol of Christ as the Lion. It's my favorite of all the manifestations of God on Earth. Lewis tapped that in me young, even if I wasn't aware of it yet. I wept -- hard -- when the closing song started at the end of the movie. I offer it to you now. The words hit me on so many different levels at this time in my life. I just swim in this song. Bob, this is Regina Spektor.

Merry Christmas all. I love you.



Regrettably, I inadvertently hit the manual focus button on my camera lens so all my photos of rocking it out with the hometown girls in East Atlanta last night (we are the kind of crazy people who go drinking on a Tuesday. So you know.) are severely out of focus. I post them anyway because at least one of them is still kind of cool looking. The problem has been corrected (thank you Landers) so clear photos should be on the horizon. I apologize for the blurry. But then, that kind of was my perspective last night (martinis. ahem.) so they may actually be more appropriate than some polished version of the evening. Cause there really was nothing polished about kickin' it old school at the former Ayn Rand bar. Good times.



1 Comments:

At 8:29 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bominicious looks thrilled about her new headgear. How many Greenies did you have to bribe her with, in order to don that getup?

 

Post a Comment

You talkin' to me?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home