Tuesday, December 09, 2008

To Lou on her brithday

Happy Birthday Lou. I'm so proud of you for taking care of business and not letting people push you around -- I've never been as good at that as you. It's one of the things I always admired. Also the time you chased that football player down the hall in high school and beat the crap put of him for taking your Santa hat. And the time you wrecked your car at the softball field and calmly rolled your eyes at me while I crawled out the window screaming at you. Also that you had the courage to take on responsibilities most people your age would have shirked with a shrug and never thought about again. Also that you've picked up the academic mantle again and are attacking it with the same curly-haired passion with which you refused to share your Nilla wafers when you were 4. The same passion that makes you an incredible cook, a loyal sister, a protective mother and a rabid survivor. I've known my whole life that no matter what's going on between us -- and we have had our moments, haven't we? -- that if I called you crying at 4 in the morning and needed your help you'd crawl out of bed, grab your keys, get to me and ask whose ass needed kicking. And I'd talk you out of it -- I always do -- but only because I know that the one time I might actually say yes, go take care of that, you would. And that's enough.

You know me better than anyone else on this earth -- 17 years sharing a room does that -- and that's unsettling and calming at the same time. It's also the perfect laboratory for growing unconditional love. And I love you that way sis. Always have, always will.

2 Comments:

At 12:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sending along my heartfelt sentiments for Lou, too. Finals and Birthday what a combination! If ever I heard a great reason to tie one on, this is it! Celebrate! We all LOVE LaLa here!! Cute picture!

 
At 7:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

.... happiest of birthdays to your sis.....

Eric

 

Post a Comment

You talkin' to me?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home