Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The still, small voice

I love when things like this happen. Some people don't care about coincidence -- or they take note but focus on the randomness factor. I however, view coincidence as nothing less than synchronicity -- which I think differs in connotation if nothing else -- and I tend to pay close attention and am always comforted by what I perceive as proof that I'm on the right track.

So thank you Jonah Goldberg, for reminding me of a few basic truths while I fight the urge to panic.

"But here’s a point nearly everyone understands from personal experience: It is not a good idea to make big, life-altering decisions when you’re freaking out."

Goldberg worked for the American Enterprise Institute and I've had their position openings page pulled up on my desktop for about two weeks now, having recently made the decision to really give a good run at think tanks. Obviously, none of these things constitute any kind of done deal. Just maybe the beginnings of a direction, a path. And, as if to put an exclamation point on the end of the phrase "Don't Panic," a good friend randomly (...) called yesterday and is helping me refinance my mortgage which could lower my monthly payment and potentially sever my ties with CitiMortgage, something that is tantamount to turning one's back on the devil.

I am reminded of one of the greatest movies of all time:

Andy Dufresne: That's the beauty of music. They can't get that from you... Haven't you ever felt that way about music?
Red: I played a mean harmonica as a younger man. Lost interest in it though. Didn't make much sense in here.
Andy Dufresne: Here's where it makes the most sense. You need it so you don't forget.
Red: Forget?
Andy Dufresne: Forget that... there are places in this world that aren't made out of stone. That there's something inside... that they can't get to, that they can't touch. That's yours.
Red: What're you talking about?
Andy Dufresne: Hope.


Maybe the best of things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

You talkin' to me?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home