Monday, June 08, 2009

Ana Ng and I are gettin' old

Hi my peeps. I have many things for you to consider. But first I want to ask that, should you actually read this (does anyone actually read this? I have no idea and, really, would prefer not to know. Doesn't stop me from being logically inconsistent and appealing to my "readers." Cause that's how I roll...), you stop for a minute and send me some love and kind thoughts and prayers if that's your thing. I need them to send along to people I love who have some challenges they're facing. Anything you can spare. Just gimme a good thought -- connect an image of this little online diary with a picture in your head of something awesome. You know, like ring pops or some weird umbrella drink on the beach at sunset. Something like that. It'll be a good thing you're doing. Promise.


That said, I sent my parents to Chastain Park to see a band called Pink Martini (the tickets were for mother's day and I didn't ask the folks if they were even available on the date of the show. I just bought them and sent them and -- how cool are Lola's parents? -- they went.) Mom called me from the show just to let me hear what it sounded like and said (warning: butchered quote to follow), "the drummer of the opening band had on a pink shirt, a red skirt, cowboy boots and a sheared off mohawk." She loved it. Of course, Pops looked them up online and made his typical "damn liberals" comment but Mom said he enjoyed himself and remarked that he'd never seen a band where the mandolin was the lead instrument for several songs. Dang my parents are hip. Here's a video of the band. I think I would've liked the show as well...


Also, this is freaking me out. It reminds me of this movie, which features Joaquin Phoenix in a role that broke my heart and I will never be able to watch again. Suffice to say he has a monologue about finding God in a Southeast Asia prison and that's a theme that has some import at the moment so I thought I'd throw it out there. It's a difficult film -- I broke down while watching it -- but probably an important one, too. So see it. Really, you should.

UPDATE: I found the clip. Boy shoulda won an Oscar.



And, for some levity because who doesn't need that on a Monday, the best 80s videos -- I think a few are missing like A-Ha or anything by Duran Duran (Rio, Hungry Like the Wolf, Wild Boys...or Adam Ant. He had ridiculous ones, too...)-- but still diverting, and this article which I think is hilarious and I just picture some of the dudes (or ladies) I work with being tapped for this kind of thing. Hackers like to believe they are sooooo lunatic fringe. It's okay to be mainstream guys. Really. Just make sure you keep a little edge. It's what we all have to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

You talkin' to me?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home