Friday, May 29, 2009

I wonder how bad that tastes

Well hey there -- I'm getting over my down time because, really, how boring. It's incredibly uninteresting to feel sorry for oneself. I forget that sometimes. My goal is to surround myself with people who remind me of that fact and not the alternative, those who attempt to keep you mired. I continue the quest. Also, I found out today that my brother Drew has a sick dog -- his buddy. his friend. -- and the prognosis isn't incredibly encouraging and that's real. I just immediately juxtaposed that with my ridiculous struggle negotiating people's tendencies toward bad behavior and it kind of threw things into perspective for me. Drew, I'm here for you and I love you.

Anyway, I recently engaged in a conversation with Steph -- who definitely falls on the left side of the fence but we somehow agree to disagree -- about how some conservatives are seen by liberals as very off-putting and rude. Limbaugh, O'Reilly, Levin, Coulter, and to a lesser degree, Malkin and Ingraham. The strongly opinionated who could really care less if a liberal has his/her feelings hurt. I have to admit -- I bristle at political invective myself, whichever side it comes from. I generally agree with the opinions of these thinkers but I definitely see how the mode of delivery could rankle people, especially -- and I don't think this is a surprise to anyone -- a group of people (liberals) who define themselves as compassionate and empathetic (the truth of this claim is another post altogether). Juje and I were discussing last night the irrational hatred of Cheney and how she thinks it's borne of of the fact that, as she said, "they don't like him and he just doesn't care." And I think there's some truth to that. Which I think speaks to the need for ego stroking more than anything else but again, another post altogether.

This is not to say that I don't appreciate the bulldogs willing to snarl and take a bite if necessary. I like having them on my side. But I'm more of a Krauthammer/Sowell conservative. The deeply intellectual and quietly -- and logically -- brilliant just appeals to me. And here's why:

"Since the 2008 election, people have been asking what conservatism stands for. Well, if nothing else, it stands unequivocally against justice as empathy -- and unequivocally for the principle of blind justice.

Empathy is a vital virtue to be exercised in private life -- through charity, respect and lovingkindness -- and in the legislative life of a society where the consequences of any law matter greatly, which is why income taxes are progressive and safety nets built for the poor and disadvantaged.

But all that stops at the courthouse door. Figuratively and literally, justice wears a blindfold. It cannot be a respecter of persons. Everyone must stand equally before the law, black or white, rich or poor, advantaged or not."


It's just a solid argument, delivered without venom or even really -- as much as this is possible -- a personal conviction. I use the word frequently but it just logically flows -- if A, then B. It makes sense. So, call me a simple truth conservative. If it makes sense, I agree.

And, just because I saw this video (oh for roughly the 978th time) this morning, but never really paid attention to how hilarious (and cute) the lead singer is -- and because it went a long way toward bringing me out of the aforementioned funk -- here it is for you. It cracks me up.

Give 'em hell this weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

You talkin' to me?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home