Monday, February 02, 2009

Because we're aliens and that's how we roll

This was my favorite ad for several reasons: It's hilarious in a discomforting way because I'm pretty sure they're not kidding and they may be unaware of that fact, confusing as that is. This is a great ad for those who understand that advertising is, by its nature, condescending. Ad execs think you're stupid man. And this is a great example. If you know that you're being talked down to, this commercial is hilarious in a different way. Also, I used to really love Alec Baldwin (just as fine as they come in Beetlejuice) and I still think he's a great actor and has, in recent years, revealed some pretty hefty comedic chops (awesome in Along Came Polly). Of course, politically he's whack (as the kids say) and his personal life is a mess, but I don't judge the latter because I'd hate to be judged for mine. Not too much a fan of hypocrisy. I have no patience for the way he spoke to his daughter, even if his ex-wife is kooky, and I really see mainly just a very vain man who's doing everything he can to just keep his confidence and he's succeeding. Because he is funny. The maniacal laughter in this is edgy and dark and weird and hilarious. I wish he wouldn't take himself so seriously.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

You talkin' to me?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home