Saturday, January 17, 2009

Anatomically interesting art

I'm going to start and end this post with some awesome but will talk -- briefly I hope -- about a little thing called tactic that I've been observing of late and am still kind of working out how I feel about it. First though a shout out to my nephew James who, as a second-grader, recently tested into a state-wide scholastic gifted program, something his teacher mother is unapologetically gushing about. Rightly so. We are lucky enough in my family, both blood-related and extended (we don't hang with no fools) to be complex enough to celebrate and appreciate talent in the physical, emotional and intellectual spheres. And, indeed, everything in between. In short, we strive for the Renaissance man/woman. So go get em little J. Da Vinci. You've made us proud.

Okay, tactic. I've been reading a lot about our soon-to-be new President's courting of the Republican base -- something that actually, again, has me optimistic that he can learn the ropes he didn't take the time to develop in the Senate. I'm willing to cautiously acknowledge that maybe he's some kind of wunderkind that didn't need experience to do the job. We'll see. In fact, as Krauthammer, my hero of intellectual acuity as I may have mentioned before, notes, Obama is retaining many of the outgoing President's policies, suggesting, again as I may have mentioned before, that his meeting with Bush was a lot more edifying for him than he thought it was going to be. And it suggests something else as well, something I've been wanting to say for a long time but just didn't want to catch the grief or be told how I'm some kind of evil person for my opinions. It suggests that Obama likes Bush, respects him and actually considers his work a good starting point. It's okay. Sit down, head between knees. You're gonna be okay. Here's the thing -- I like Bush as well. Always have. I have never considered him stupid -- quite the opposite in fact. I enjoyed that he knew how to, as we say in the vernacular, throw down, in college. I like his courage of spiritual conviction, his belief in the inherent freedom of the human spirit and his ability to move like a cheetah while ducking shoes.I appreciate that he inherited crap economic policies from 8 years of Clinton and took the blame for the current economic situation like he's taken every other histrionic criticism thrown at him over the years -- like a man, never stooping to petty sniping and instead just going to the office and doing his job. He has, as my Pops would say, continued to get up every day and pull the wagon, generally in the face of unbelievable negativity and pessimism. As a conservative who doesn't even self-identify as Republican, I've been called abhorrent things that hurt and embarrassed and angered me. I cry. Bush just kept at it. And I don't even think I have to mention -- primarily because everyone else is -- his victory over what were undoubtedly other plots to attack the States. And Condi's contribution, as well as Cheney's, will only be celebrated in years to come. But the new administration, in retaining some of the policies left for them, will take the credit. Any student of our American political system knows that every administration inherits the evils -- or the good deeds -- of the one before it. Bush and Company knew what they were getting handed following Clinton. Obama, I have a feeling may find good things on the horizon because that's what's been left for him. Snort at me if you want you naysayers. Just remember I said it when it turns out to be true. And really, to all those who hate Bush -- I mean really, come on. Get the f*@k over it already. It's counterproductive and uninteresting to say the least.
As for tactic, my question is this: while I appreciate Obama's willingness now to recognize the wisdom in some of the outgoing President's policies, should we trust a man who plays the game to the extent that he denies what he knows to be true to get elected? I don't know. It's true that had he come out in support of these things during the campaign he likely would not have been elected. Does the end justify the means? Still trying to work that one out...

And here's the second piece of awesome, my other parents (in my neighborhood I had about four sets of parents) who I am now actually related to by marriage (which I'm sure keeps them up at night occasionally) took my other nephews -- 14 and 11-year-old boys, to an art exhibit recently at the High Museum in Atlanta. Here was the email update from Papa Dan about. I laughed so hard. Thought you might like it, too. Jake, by the way, is the 14-year-old.:

" Last weekend we took Jacob & David to a show at the High Museum.

We set some rules ...

You couldn't move from one room of the exhibit to another alone. Everyone had to move together.

Behave .. treat the place more like a Church than a School.

You had earphones on. If you wanted to talk, pull the phones off so you weren't loud.

There may be some 'anatomically interesting' art. Please don't yell at your brother to come & look at some 'interesting anatomy'. Suggest he come look at the 'smile' or something.

***************

We finished the exhibit. Jake wanted to go over to the general museum to look at some art. We headed to look at American 19th Century stuff.

We headed up the walkway, up the ramp a floor. An attractive young lady ... not dressed for the weather ... low cut jeans, low cut top, midriff revealed, walked down and passed us.

Jake turned to me and said: 'Nice Smile.'

Boy has promise!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

You talkin' to me?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home