Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Menace to Society


Okay, I'm over my little temper tantrum which culminated in my getting pulled over -- again -- yesterday after work for speeding. 47 in a 35 which always surprises people that the cops even bother. But with me, they do. I don't believe I've been cited for driving more than 12 miles over the speed limit ever. Recently I was pulled over in Atlanta and just kind of yelled at by the cop for five minutes with a warning. I'm convinced he couldn't cite me because I was nowhere near speeding but he pulled me over nonetheless. I never said a word. And yesterday the guy spoke to me like I was his nagging girlfriend and told me, when I said yes, I've been through this before, I know where to sign, "Well if I don't tell you you'll just be complaining about that, too." Geesh. The punchline is that this same cop pulled me over less than a year ago and gave me a long protracted speech about the accuracy of his laser pointer. How's that for a metaphor?

Here's the thing: I love cops. I do. I appreciate the job they do and feel safer knowing they're out there. But I'm not your girlfriend, your wife nor your mom, and am therefore not the one you should be yelling at. I'm also not as young nor as cute as I appear to be from afar. It's the long hair I think and I would assume they just end up disappointed that their eyesight's not any better. And, at the moment, I'm not even financially solvent enough to continue to pay into your quota fund. Of course, my sister Juje, who got to listen to my post-ticket meltdown, reminded me that all this stops if I just stop speeding. 12 miles over is still speeding, she said. Dammit but that's a good point. Anyway, I'll be taking a new route home from here on and am likely to be the most obnoxious driver on the road because I'll be going much slower than the flow of traffic. Sorry but I just can't afford to be the rebellious girl in the four-door sedan going moderately faster than the posted speed.

So, I'm playing with this little blog template and am determined to manipulate the HTML rather than using Blogger design tools. Just trying to expand my horizons a bit more. And I like the idea of changing my picture to reflect where I live. That could come in handy.

Have a Happy Epiphany, Twelfth Night, etc. I'm getting my God on later by going for a swim and then hitting church. And, oh yeah, my new found optimism for the President-elect is really just born of what appears to be his ability to learn, something I wasn't sure he had in him. He knows he's in a different league now it seems and, despite how he may have gotten there, he seems to have picked up on the wisdom of a low profile. I maintain that his recent meeting with the current President was probably eye-opening for him and it would be hard not to view the solipsistic Reids and Pelosis of the world in a different way once the harsh light of the realities of world politics is flicked on. You're gonna have to be tough Obama because popularity, despite what you may have been led to believe, is not actually the most important "skill" you need to have. Just sayin'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

You talkin' to me?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home