Friday, November 28, 2008

The Day After

Bout to make myself a lunch of leftover turkey breast, mashed potatoes, asparagus and coconut cake (I made this. Just trying to justify the name my parents gave me.) After that, I'll be walking a crazy old black dog in weather that, should you choose to ignore it, may have you trying to explain to whomever controls such things that you never meant to be so selfish as to ignore the easy beauty provided to us here on this miracle of timing known as Earth. I'm just saying, if you live in the South Eastern United States and you don't appreciate the temperate nature of our climate you suck. Sorry, but you do.

Next up, cleaning house, job hunting and maybe visiting with friends. Sounds boring, right? Better than this nonsense. You know, the older I get the more convinced I am that the secret to a happy life is understanding and not trying to fight against the basic truth that life is about balance. Swing the pendulum of anything too far in one direction, you have problems. Which is why I agree so passionately with Krauthammer's column today (not unusual of course for me to agree with him but this one I found myself thanking God for because someone actually has the foresight and courage to write these things in a climate that does not look favorably on this particular opinion. Courage fascinates me. I love it. Literally.) Running amok and killing at Wal-Mart is savage -- it's the modern version of the fight over a carcass -- and while the market economy depends on the consumer, that pendulum has swung way too far in one direction when people trample someone in an effort to be the first to purchase the new blanket with sleeves or whatever ridiculous thing is being marketed to the masses at the moment.

And yet, as Krauthammer notes, politicizing the market to the extent that New York looks to Washington to call the shots, which, as he points out, is now pretty much the case, the pendulum has swung back and lopped off a few heads on the down swing.

Balance people. Balance. One of my favorite books is one of my favorite books because it makes much of the phrase "Don't Panic." Even when you're told you should. Usually the one telling you is simply trying to create confusion to further an agenda. Cynical? Yes. Also probably true.

Have a leftover filled weekend.

2 Comments:

At 9:36 PM , Blogger diane said...

love the wagon pic with your pops and little lee. and ps- we had mashed potatoes and asparagus too! i knew we were soulmates.

 
At 10:20 PM , Blogger Lola said...

thanks! little lee is john's son. crazy eh?

no doubt we're soul mates. we both love whiskey, swearing, grandmas and goofy men. rare breed.

thanksgiving food rox.

 

Post a Comment

You talkin' to me?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home