Monday, June 15, 2009

Role reversal

I saw a roach the size of a Buick in my kitchen last night. I sprayed it and watch the neurotoxins shake the spark of life from it before I got disturbed that I was somewhat enjoying watching the death of a living creature and shut the door to the laundry room so I could at least find the carcass later. Then I had a dream about a lizard approaching a spider on a limb and I expected my mind to show me that pink lizard tongue shooting out and nabbing that spider in a nice tasty, non-gruesome lunch. No. My mind has a cruel streak. Instead, the spider jumped backward onto the lizard's neck and bit down and then -- get this -- ate the lizard's head. I woke up about 3:30 am and didn't get back to sleep again.

I only tell you this because a.) I'm exhausted and am prone to ramble -- more so than usual if that's even possible and b.) I think it's a nice segue into talking about what's going on in Iran at the moment and how Obama was just like that lizard in my dream -- you thought you could just approach that spider with your powerful lizard tongue and he'd be sure to just play the part of spider lunch? I mean, just talk to that spider and he'll surely see that he has a role to play and that trying to play something else is futile. The lizard is, after all, bigger, more powerful, prettier and has a whole history of lizard-spider interaction on his side.

Well Mr. President, that spider has ignored your assertions about where he fits into the food chain and just jumped backward and is about to deliver the bite. Do you think he's ready to listen yet about how he's just a spider? Maybe since he's on your head he'll hear you better. And this, by the way, is always the danger of elitism. The world just may not work the way you and your powerful friends think it does. How you managed to get where you've gotten without learning this is a mystery to me. But welcome to the reality club. It's a little scary but at least we tend to be prepared.

Jr., btw, is looking east to Korea, which is probably wise because they are watching with interest what's happening. He also tells me that this is why he believes stabilizing the region by weakening the natural enemies of the tiny dictator is proving to be somewhat dangerous. I don't know if I agree but I can see his point.

I'm pulling for your Mr. President. Maybe you should give W. a call...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

You talkin' to me?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home