Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Despite always being misunderstood


Former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich came to UGA yesterday and spoke, first to a group of Law students and later to a group in the chapel. This kid was supposed to go but didn't. I don't want to talk about it...

Regardless, I like old Newt. He's a smart cookie and I hope he runs in 2012. I'm aware conservatism isn't hip. I'd rather be square and formulating my opinions logically than groovy and deluded. Here are a few news stories covering the event, one from the wire and one from my former place of employment. Be sure to read his remarks from the AP piece about gay marriage and how he implies that if the decision is the will of the people within a state then discussion should center on the fact that it is the will of the people within a state and should be respected as such. Here's the rub: many, many people will hear that he spoke of gay marriage, never bother to read his remarks and just chalk what he said up to those evil conservatives trampling everyone's rights again. Lame.

Pretty cool to see him standing behind the SPIA lectern, which was the school my master's program came from. Damn I wish I could've been there...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

You talkin' to me?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home