Monday, March 16, 2009

Those who do not learn from history...

So I saw this program on the History Channel the other day (I continue to give the History Channel a chance despite their need to be alarmist and sensational in very many of their programs) about the sack of Rome by Alaric and the Visigoths and how the result of the end of the Roman Empire was this vast European slide into the Dark Ages. And how strange it must have been for the peasants during this period -- who were literally scavenging building materials from the vast and once remarkable Roman ruins -- to realize that the generations preceding them lived in a manner wealthier, healthier, more prosperous and arguably more civilized. And then I saw this. And I'm trying not to draw parallels because what good would that do really...?

Also, a shout out to my team. We did good. This is the Internet equivalent of above the fold. See how I'm pushing the lexicon so one day, when a child wonders where that expression comes from, some wise old adult will say, "Well honey child, back when newspapers ruled..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

You talkin' to me?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home