Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Pops just vocally shrugged and said "March is unpredictable."

So, maybe I was quick to think that our little snow prediction in Georgia was going to be the light dusting it always is and that people freaking out and all businesses shutting down were going to be overreactions. We did get about 7 inches -- but just in Athens apparently. Athens, it turns out, was under some swirling mass of freakish cloud cover that dumped nearly twice the amount that anyone else saw within a 20-30 mile radius. Very strange. People were losing power left and right. I was powerless for just over 24 hours, which actually leads me to forgive myself for my quick prejudgement because as it turns out, you can drive to get coffee in 7 inches of snow. You have to friends. No coffee just won't do. Of course I had no idea where every contraption my mother has given me for Christmas over the years was located -- the battery-operated lantern would have been awesome (my mother gave me the riot act for not having a battery-powered radio and Coleman stove. She did suggest I fire up my mini charcoal grill for hot water however. Remind me to tell you about the tool she put in our stockings one year that stays in my car glove box. It's a utilitarian thing that helps you escape from a car crash. My mother the survivalist.)

Anyway, I had a moment Sunday driving home from swimming at the gym -- I've included a pic of road conditions at that time courtesy of Steph because I didn't have my camera on me -- where I very nearly got stuck because of the genius 20-year-old girl in front of me. Look here, when driving in snow, instinctively I do a few things: go slowly, try to find the most downhill route on the most frequently traveled road, find the biggest 4-wheel drive truck and follow it. Young girl in front of me however decided to stop, going uphill in rapidly falling snow, turn around and give me the "go around" hand signal because apparently the five other cars that had gotten stuck at this very intersection were her friends. Now, I begrudge no one their good time -- and these kids looked like Abercrombie & Fitch in the snow (got a good laugh from Zimmer for this description so thought I'd use it again) -- but are you kidding me! Thoughts racing through my head in the 20 seconds I was stuck behind her trying to go around her dumb ass: shit. who the hell do I call if I can't get out? Will they get stuck, too? They'll hate me for life regardless. Why does everyone who wouldn't hate me for life live so far away? Do I have my hat and gloves in case I have to walk the four miles home? Yes, thank God. This girl has no consideration for anyone else -- not even her friends because ostensibly she's here to help but they're just playing around; this isn't serious to them. Dammit, does that make me old and bitter? No, when I was younger I would have rolled my window down and cussed her out. I'm softening with age...good. Oh thank God my wheels have gotten some traction and I'm moving. People are dumb."

To all the people who I called around 5 pm Sunday who didn't answer the phone (ahem), good move grasshoppers. You would have gotten the earful I wanted to give the genius girl in front of me. I'm not sure but I think I saw her stupid Jeep there the next morning when I drove to get coffee. Effing Einstein.

But ya know, for all the ridiculousness, there were people traveling around my neighborhood on a modified lawn mower with a chainsaw cutting up branches. And it was kinda fun being forced to read and forget all the "have to" stuff that comes with modern conveniences. And the snow was truly beautiful. I love the silence that accompanies it. Stupid girls can't take that away from me.

Anyway, pics. The lamps and the flame retardant boot at the bottom are from my fabulous trip to IKEA in Atlanta, which you learn more about over at Baby Ds place. Forgive all the bird shooting -- I have no class.














0 Comments:

Post a Comment

You talkin' to me?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home