Friday, September 21, 2007

Epiphanies and comedy

I had an epiphany yesterday -- something I love to have. I went to Atlanta to Tiffany's for a freelance assignment. While there, I tried on some remarkable pieces so, of course, I felt the need to share with my girlfriends the tale of the 11 carat aquamarine, the 3 carat diamond solitaire and the ridiculous, non-pretentious customer service that had me sort of giddy on the drive home. While relating the story, I told my friends I had never been to Tiffany's before. This is simply not true -- I went with an ex-boyfriend a few years ago to the New York City store. And I realized in the moment that I was aware that I actually had been before that some experiences just don't exist for me -- it's like they happened to someone else that looks just like me but that I only saw in a movie or something. Sometimes I don't live in my own life -- I let others make the decisions and it's as if I disappear and those experiences become colorful marble tiles of a mosaic that happened for sure but are cold like marble and should be hung on the wall and discussed later as a way to sum up the parts of a life. There's no heat in them; nothing I can retain and talk about years later and look fifty years younger because the light flares in my eyes with the memory.

I'm tired of those cold marble experiences. I want the freedom to find those memories that resonate and warm and radiate outward and make it all worth it. That's why sometimes I can be difficult -- I do not respond well to others deciding what my memories should be.

But sometimes it's all just cause I can be petty.

And I digress...

Going to see this guy tomorrow night with the crazy-cool family members. He's very funny, very talented and very offensive. It's gonna be a good time! Here's a sample...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

You talkin' to me?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home