Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Look sharp

I finished Christmas shopping last night. Woohoo! I really hate shopping -- okay that's a lie, but I do hate it at this time of year because the whole Christmas spirit thing does not seem to apply to snotty, pretentious sales girls and rabid parents. Nonetheless, I'm done. Hallelujah!

I stole this article from Bored Athenians and had one of those "Eureka" moments when I realized that I wasn't a non-conformist as much as struggling against an imposed, unnatural set of circumstances designed specifically to squash the finer, creative aspects of the human experience. Not sure I agree with the idea that being a "hunter in a farmer's world" can be called ADD -- doesn't seem to be much of a deficit of anything as far as I'm concerned. But definitely worth the read.

Someone reminded me recently of the genius of Joe Jackson (not the shoeless one...) and so I dug out my "best of" record and, indeed, genius abounds. Of course I, during this conversation, mistakenly attributed "Life's Been Good" (it's actually the Eagles, but still a good song. I think I've thought it was Joe Jackson my whole life. I'm not perfect -- as hard as that is to believe...) to him. Sometimes I'm just plain wrong.

Here's one you may know. And here's an example of the punk-rockness of JJ. Good stuff. Good taste in music may have a one-to-one correlation to capacity for decency of said person expressing taste. Potentially. It remains to be seen... but here's hoping.

That reminds me -- why is it that people keep baiting me to fight lately? Just because I'm part Irish and can fight doesn't mean I like it. So back off, eh? Haven't you ever seen The Quiet Man? Geesh.

Also, I was recently astounded to learn that, despite my belief that movies like "Working Girl," "The Devil Wears Prada," and even "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington" are overly dramatized character studies, these stereotypes actually exist. I mean, people I've run up on lately actually do the things that the "evil" characters do in the movies. Fascinating. Wonder what would motivate someone to want to be Potter from "It's a Wonderful Life?" Kind of a sad state of affairs... Unfortunately, it's one of those situations you just have to live through and one day, while watching the fall out from a safe distance, be surprised to learn that you feel sorry for these folks rather than wanting to hang them up by their toes, naked, in the town square so everybody can laugh at their silly, fleshy, emperor's new clothes...

Ooohh...did I say that out loud? :0b

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

You talkin' to me?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home