Monday, November 20, 2006

Chariots of fire is only slightly about winning

Sometimes having a head cold can be a very good thing -- most especially when it allows you to legitimately lay out of work and watch videos, despite needing to work on presentations and papers, etc. There really is nothing better than laying on the couch under a down comforter, big black dog warming your feet at the other end, drinking coffee and watching new releases. The occasional sneezing and ever-present wad of tissues can't even ruin the bliss. Ahhhhhhhh.....

So, let's talk competition. For the past several months, this word has come up in conversation in varied and seemingly disconnected situations. It's apparently a theme or something I need to take notice of. I mean, I'm being hammered over the head with the concept lately. And, but of course, I'm rebelling. But let me tell you why...

I have, in one form or another, been competing my entire life. And I mean since birth. You don't get born into a family of 9 without knowing what it means to go without. Sharing is a concept I learned early on. It seems I was competing with my sister (even though, looking back, I can't remember why) from day one. Ever present push and pull.

Then there were the team sports I started playing at 6, swim meets, band practice trying to get the best chair, chorus trying to get the solos, dancing for years (don't even get me started on the competitive spirit of this pursuit), school, boys (which is silly really; kinda defeats this idea of love and "one person for everyone" idea that I'm not quite willing to let go of just yet, and certainly wasn't when I was younger), etc., etc.

Lately, I just want what I do to be valued based on its own merits and not how it stacks up to the way someone else does it. I'm tired people. I want to rest. And relax. So please, those who know me, chill with the competition talk for a little while. Really good things are good because they just are, not because they are better than other things. Things "good by comparison" are really, by definition, only mediocre. Think about that for a minute and you'll see it's true.

I'm believing it for a little while at least. So I can get some sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

You talkin' to me?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home