Friday, September 15, 2006

Today, I'm not prepared to let it go

Okay, because I'm under a lot of pressure I feel compelled to correct something. True, only those who actually read this blog will ever see this but maybe -- just maybe -- I can finally begin to correct some of the inconsistencies.

Here's what I wrote:

Shitty Candy – Roadhouse, Thursday, June 22

The Roadhouse hasn’t changed much from when I was in college and my sojourn there of a Thursday night before AthFest was pleasingly familiar. And when the air was pelted with the thrashing sounds of angry chick rock – borderline true punk rock – I had a pure nostalgic moment. Shitty Candy reminded me of those fuzzy days fifteen or so years ago where folks just got up and did what they did because they wanted to – and they didn’t give a damn if you were impressed or not.

Because I knew the ladies performing – several of them have secret identities as graceful dancers at local the DanceSpace dance studio on Milledge – I was shocked and awed by their ability to morph into Circus Peanuts (that’s the teaser – see the show to find out what this means. I’m talking electric blue outfits and crappy orange circus candy everywhere…) and raucous musicians in attire that would make Neil Gaiman proud.

And the music? Well, let me just say that the originals were guitar-hammered thrash songs about the lead singer’s Bitch-ass dog and the inconsistency of being a freaky ballerina. They even covered an L7 song. There was a tiny little girl in a satin oriental-style dress hammering the drums and the singer had a voice full of that “piss-off” spirit of the great 70s punk bands. And done without even the slightest bit of “we take ourselves seriously.” It was all so – well – fun.

In short: more Shitty Candy please. My hope is that they book a larger venue where the singer can jump around like the banshee she’s channeling and the Circus Peanuts can climb down off their boxes and get in your face. You won’t regret the spectacle.

[Sarah Lee]

Now, see what ran. "It was fun."? What the hell?

I wouldn't care execpt my name's on it and the girls deserve better representation. I'm aware, having worked there, of the heirarchy of editing over at the Flagpole so the music editor, as far as I'm concerned, is in the clear.

Not to split hairs, and normally I'd never even mention it because it's a lot of jealously guarding of something kinda small but, ya know, here lately, I'm fucking over it.

Ramp up your game Flagpole. You only make yourself look bad.

Happy Friday people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

You talkin' to me?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home