Friday, July 07, 2006

"I'm so lonely, there's no one, just me only, sitting on my little throne..."

I find it fascinating how much of Kim Jong Il I see in the ridiculous machinations of people I meet every day. If we could somehow forget that this despot was toying around with extremely deadly weapons and not just playing with action figures (see Matt Stone and Trey Parker's Team America for a really good parody) we might see his humanity behind the little tan member's only jacket -- he's a spoiled child desperate for attention and the minute he thinks someone might be getting more than he, he begins tainting waters, spouting hateful rhetoric and threatening nuclear combat. Here recently, I have met some Kim Jong Il-ish folks who have behaved the same way, only their artillery is less deadly. Their intent to harm, however, is the same.

I've often thought about the irony that this similarity in human nature is the reason I'm not a bigot rather than the more righteous fact that all people can be quite noble. The violent and sadistic just makes its point with so much more punch. I consider it one of the great new goals of my life to see the power and unifying nature of the finer aspects of human nature. I'm newly dedicated to it. Wish me luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

You talkin' to me?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home