Thursday, June 22, 2006

You're not helping to change things Ostrich

So, a couple of the lovely ladies I dance with will be doing a sort of Whisky-A-Go-Go thing at the Roadhouse this evening with the musical stylings of Shitty Candy accompanying them. I have no idea what to expect but I believe any group of people that can plant their tongues that firmly in their cheeks without fear of ridicule must be of quality stock. Much like the tribute I saw on Halloween to some great 80s bands where Mr. Bielli had Freddie Mercury down to a tee -- a wife-beater tee that is. Good stuff.

What's more, these girls can move. I have been humbled trying to keep up and I danced for the better part of 10 years. And they just don't get the notice they should because, I think, they do it for the pure love of dance, not for the vain love of attention. So, if you're around, come and see them tonight around 11 p.m. It should be interesting...

One more thing -- I had this surprising conversation in the breakroom at work where a co-worker made the statement that it was hard to believe, watching the World Cup tournament, that Europeans were so racist in their competition. I mean, she said, I can understand it here, especially in the South because of our proven racism, what with slavery and all.

Good Lord.

Just where do you think the slave trade began? Um, and the Greeks and the Romans. And the Egyptians. And every other nation in the history of the freakin' world.

It was so much less shocking to hear of racism in the World Cup than to listen to this girl's willful ignorance of human nature and her limited world view. It is unfortunate that enlightenment has waxed and waned the way it has throughout human cultural advancement but to forcibly mitigate it -- when the facts are right in front of your face every day (Anti-semitism in Europe? Muslim slums in France? The Balkans, Somalia, etc...) -- just plain pisses me off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

You talkin' to me?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home