Friday, November 21, 2008

Staying sane through rhythm

A friend of mine told me yesterday that she was heartened to see a recent interview that Barack and Michelle Obama gave where they talked to each other like "a real couple." She told me that at one point in the interview, Mr. Obama made a comment that he found doing the dishes peaceful (or something like that. I haven't seen the interview so this is second-hand info. If I'm wrong please let me know.) and his wife looked at her husband like he was loopy and said something to the effect of "When have you ever enjoyed doing the dishes?" as only a wife can. My friend found this comforting that these two had real dialogue, imperfect dialogue, just like the rest of us.

As for me, I can't decide. I think it's cool, too, to know that the Obamas are "real" and not some dressed up version of marriage that looks good politically (cough, cough, Clintons, cough, ahem) but it's a bit disconcerting that Michelle Obama is already looking at her husband like, "Who the hell are you?" Make him keep it real Michelle. For all our sakes.

There's a fun thing going down tonight that, if you don't already have plans, you should check out. The dance studio where I take classes is holding a fundraiser at Tasty World and the theme is 80s Prom. I just went and got a hideous bridesmaid dress from Goodwill and I'm certain it will be the least obnoxious outfit at the event. The music will be stellar -- this is the stuff I grew up listening to -- and there will be dance performances to boot. Yes, I could have performed in the piece to "Let's Get Physical" but I figure that being old enough to remember when that single dropped -- I was pretty young but I do remember it -- means I'm too old to shake it in a leotard for the college crowd at a bar. On stage in the Spring show, sure. But I gotta let the kids have the nightlife. Tomorrow, at the historic Morton Theater, the company from my studio (including the ballroom company, those crazies!) will be performing with other area studio companies just to kind of showcase how Athens does dance. Good times. I'll be ushering so come see and I'll find you a seat.

As I was driving to work this morning I had this inordinately strong desire to write the following (not sure why but I'm going with it) -- I have never before in my life wanted so badly to start the next phase of my life. It is very nearly painful. Not in an "AAARGH, get me out of here!" kind of way -- I love my town and I enjoy and appreciate all my friends here and the accomplishments I was lucky enough to make while living here -- but in a quiet, steady, it's just time to go kind of way. It's as if I've finished putting the puzzle together but I have to wait for someone to come by and approve the construction. I know where I want to be and that feels good -- it might be the first time in my life I've felt that way -- but this waiting is, as I said, almost physically taxing. My Pops says the only way to be really sucessful in the next phase of your life is to embrace the one you're in and enjoy it till the new one starts. That kicking against it and trying to rush the transition is the quickest way toward dissatisfaction. And so I wait --- *sigh* --- but I wait with hope and joy and friends and family. And dance.

And, for your Friday funny, here's something from Lord Somber that made me move this film to the top of my Netflix queue.

Have a hilariously melancholy weekend!

UPDATE: paybacks are hell CitiBank. I knew your bullying tactics regarding my mortgage were a harbinger for your own demise. Bad business acumen comes back to haunt you in the end. Take the lesson. (Thanks, Mom, for pointing this out.)

3 Comments:

At 7:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Political preferences aside, and I will keep mine private here, every husband I know says stupid things like Obama did about the dishes and every wife I know calls them on it. For some reason they (husbands) want everyone to think they love being domestic, or taking care of the kids, or wiping their noses/rears, and maybe they are just trying to convince themselves that they love these things, but for real, they don't. I would say that was a pretty good representation of him "keepin it real" and not a show for the American public. Seems he is just a regular husband.

 
At 8:12 PM , Blogger Lola said...

good point anon. i appreciate your positive take one. help me keep it real...

 
At 8:12 PM , Blogger Lola said...

that's "positive take on it." geesh.

 

Post a Comment

You talkin' to me?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home