Friday, August 08, 2008

Because I felt funky until I watched some dance. And then the funk became FUNK

First order of business on this fine Friday -- my mother informed me a few days ago that I needed to change my family history from a recent post. Apparently, by the time my grandfather returned home from WWII he was already married to my grandmother and had five of their seven children. So, his getting shot off the mule by a former girlfriend's brother happened earlier -- in the 20s Mom says -- the first time he came home from the Army. Mom, you're my first and best editor. Thank you for your directness without the added layer of disgust and disappointment (which doesn't always happen with editors -- present editor excluded because she's a joy who puts up with me even when I'm being a little slack.)

Anyway -- today I just want to talk about dance because Joshua won last night on SYTYCD and it's too cool that this untrained street dancer (which is really significant in dance because very few great dancers start out that way -- your muscles have to be stretched and trained to move in certain ways) is just so innately in tune with his body and the way it moves that he managed to look like a genius in lyrical, contemporary, jazz, ballroom, etc. etc.

I've included a clip of my favorite of his routines and another of the popping contest -- again, very cool. I consider myself passable in many forms of dance but popping just eludes me...





I've been fortunate in my life to grab opportunities for fear of later regret and therefore can say that I have learned the choreography of two of the choreographers featured on this show -- Mia Michaels and Dave Scott. Ask me sometime and I'll show you...

Have some greasy fun this weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

You talkin' to me?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home