Saturday, April 12, 2008

Ways to cope

Sittin' here looking at the rain, I'm tempted to be all low and stuff since I should be in DC right now but last minute business and a pronounced naiveté about the cost of airline tickets kept me South for the time being. I'm missing the Braves play the Nationals this evening, too, which makes it that much more a potential big time drag. However...

My DC friend has season tickets so I can go another time to the new stadium, built smack dab in the middle of my grandfather's childhood neighborhood (which I've never visited), and which interests me from a family-connection perspective almost more than from a "wow, cool new stadium!" perspective. I'll get there because my DC friend is encouraging and has given me an open invitation. Dude, you rock.

So, in an effort to ward off feeling disappointed, I've decided to revisit some music that my childhood friend Little Sara and I used to listen to when her older brother got The Who's singles album Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy. Talking to Juje the other day, I was informed that my mother found this particular album title obscene (she had Tipper Gore beat by at least a decade) and apparently took a black magic marker to Juje's Who's Next album to cover up the unseemly urine stains on the strange concrete obelisk. She has a better sense of humor now. I think she was, early on, taking the parenting thing too seriously. By the time my little brother and I were born, 12 and 10 years later respectively, we could have filmed our own heavy metal rock video in the front yard and Mom would have just instructed us to keep it down because she was trying to take a nap.

In any event, Juje and I were talking about the genius of Keith Moon and his almost inhuman ability to keep time -- and, who are we kidding, create time -- on the drums, so I'm posting a song that I think showcases that ability. It really is remarkable. And it puts me in a better mood.

Also, sometimes I miss reviewing music... But only sometimes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

You talkin' to me?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home