Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Superstars

I fell in love at the Post Office today. As I was filling out my certified mail receipt (my mortgage company must be monitored...), I noticed an elderly gentlemen ambling toward the line and I waited for him to go ahead of me because A. he had a pronounced limp and B. my momma taught me well. I guess the fact that I didn't push him over to step in front of him impressed him so he began to talk:

Post Office Man: "Do they sell money orders?"
Me: "I think so. Post Office usually does..."
POM: "I'm sending a letter to my friend in prison and I want to send him a little money."
Me: "......"
POM: "He's been in a few years and I can't remember what he did but he's working hard to get out and I think he's really changed. He's working a little now during the day."
Me: "Oh, like on work release?"
POM: "Yeah, work release."
Me: "Wow. Imagine that. The prison system actually rehabilitated someone."
POM: "Yep. That's what they're supposed to do but it doesn't happen very often."
Me: "So I hear."
POM: "You a native Athenian?"
Me: "Nope. Atlanta. Finishing up a degree and then heading back to Atlanta."
POM: "What will you do?"
Me: "Well, I was a reporter and I'm good at that so I'd really like to get back to something like that but there's a policy analyst position that I'm actually going to interview for so we'll see."
POM: "Reporter? I didn't realize I was talking to a celebrity."
Me: "BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! [Ed note: ask any reporter why this is hilarious...]
POM: "What?! If you worked for the paper you're a local celebrity."
Me: "It was several years ago now and it doesn't pay enough for employees to be classified that way."
POM: "Naw, you might get too conceited then."
Me: "Hee hee, yeah, that's probably true...Are you from Athens?"
POM: "Thomaston. I went to school here and played football here.
Me: "At UGA?"
POM: "Yep. '46 to '48."
Me: "I didn't realize I was talking to a celebrity."
POM: "Naw, naw...I was only 5th string. But we did go to a few bowl games..."

We separated then to conduct our individual business and I looked over one last time to watch him write a little note to his incarcerated friend. I looked the '46-'48 Bulldogs up when I got back to work. They won two conference titles.

I felt pretty good for the rest of the day.

The Space Between by Dave Matthews Band

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

You talkin' to me?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home