Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Social Networking is a dangerous, potentially delicious game

Blast it! Justin, if I actually set up a Facebook account it's your fault since you refuse to communicate like a normal human being by using email and so you force me to discuss your baseball prowess via Stalkerbook. It just feels weird to me...I'll think about it...

Addendum: I've done a little research and have found out the following: 1. the guy who started Facebook stole the code and the idea from people who had hired him -- sans contract -- to basically finish their Facebook-like project for them. Which means that this douche has made a killing.
2. According to a dude I work with, one of Facebook's biggest contributers is a very high-level official with the CIA which of course means Facebook is Big Brother (I can't corroborate this fact...ahem...), but is still less scary than the capitalists disguised as "caring liberals" who run Google.
3. Poking around Facebook makes me uncomfortable and I'm not sure why. I think because the whole friend collecting phenomenon, and the associated giving a crap about popularity, reminds me of "how many people signed your yearbook?" and "which sorority are you rushing?," both of which were distasteful for me at the time and are even more distasteful to me now when I'm supposed to have more meaningful things to worry about.

But then another work mate mentioned that all the internet applications we use every day are conveniently stored in one place and isn't that useful, which then led to a discussion about how we're volunteering all this information for easy access to our lives and aren't we just making it frighteningly simple to see ourselves as one gelatinous clump rather than as individuals (but all done under the auspices of individuality) and isn't that kind of scary and evil...and on, and on.

In the end, I'm sure I'll cave but I'm going to rebel as long as possible before drinking that koolaid...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

You talkin' to me?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home