Friday, July 20, 2007

Are the potential votes worth it?

Okay, this just freaks me out. Obama is wise in semantically distancing himself from calling whatever it is he thinks is the "right thing " to teach "sex education." But then, he's not really distancing himself from it after all. So, is it sex education for the under 6 set or isn't it? Look, all I'm saying is when I look at my six year old niece the last thing I think is the "right" thing to teach her is anything related to sex. She needs to learn how to laugh and share and play well with others and defend herself from bullies and how to understand what she reads and how to do basic mathematical constructions and how to love her brothers even while wanting to hate them and how playing outside in the sun should be followed by water intake and how to swim and dance and tell a joke and get a joke and that she can count on the adults in her life even when she feels like she can't. She'll figure out the anatomical differences between herself and boys later -- when she's supposed to. How is it that the party of "keep your hands off my body" is so freakin' willing to start making children aware of their bodies and the accompanying vulnerabilities associated with those bodies? It feels like a contradiction to me. But then I've been letting too many things get to me lately and have resorted to listening to this song for sanity. Show me a little shame -- I just realized how appropriate that is for this post...






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

You talkin' to me?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home