Friday, August 15, 2008

Memories, like the corners of my mind

I've been reminded a few times lately that I used to write a lot about music -- which Elvis Costello so famously likened to "dancing about architecture" (although there is some debate about this. In fact, I heard it was Thelonius Monk who said it first...). In any event, I agree with whoever said it. Hence the "used to" -- also my mother sort of drilled it into my head at an early age that you can't hang out in dance/music halls all the time and be a lady. I'm not saying that's true -- just that it got in early and deep and so being a music writer always felt like something of a rebellion, and something you put away when you stop feeling like no one understands you.

Anyhoo, because I've been reminiscing a bit, I decided to give you a nice little mix of Athens music I like. Please understand, this is not intended to be representative of what Athens has offered or does offer. Just songs I like. That's all. Rhapsody's changed their format and I'm currently not able to link to individual songs, only whole albums. But hey, ya know, they're all good...However, here's the listing of tracks I'd like you to hear:

Dayroom -- Cheap Wine
The Glands -- Fortress
The Whigs -- Give 'Em All a Big Fat Lip
Japancakes -- The Waiting
The Star Room Boys -- Both Our Towns (love this one)
Lona -- Love Country
Jucifer -- The Movements of Swallows
Neutral Milk Hotel -- Two-headed Boy

I think I found my Muxtape...

Cheap Wine by Dayroom

The Glands by The Glands

Give 'Em All A Big Fat Lip by The Whigs


The Sleepy Strange by Japancakes

Why Do Lonely Men And Women Want To Break Each Other's Hearts? by The Star Room Boys

The The Nth (Reissue + 2) by Lona

Calling All Cars On The Vegas Strip by Jucifer

In The Aeroplane Over The Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

You talkin' to me?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home