Thursday, October 18, 2007

Running the risk of marginalization for my beliefs every single day

Everybody's already seen this I'm sure but a friend pointed this out to me today and I had to post it because it's representative of that mysterious thing that I'll never understand: why are people so reticent to admit the truth even when it is right in front of their faces? That's all I'm saying. Hate me for it if you want.

A Tale of Two Houses

and on a broader topic, I really hate feeling afraid all the time for having certain beliefs and opinions that maybe aren't popular or status quo. And please do not read into this that my views are hateful or prejudiced -- I wasn't raised that way and wouldn't know how to begin judging people based on superficial qualities. That would be letting my parents down because they have always maintained that I'm a smart little cookie and it takes very little brain power to judge with the eyes or the emotions. That said, the truth is -- and this is especially true with political affiliation -- I have felt the sting of disenfranchisement for having a certain mindset and it confuses me. A friend of mine insists that it might be a little stupid to publicly proclaim -- read: writing about it on this blog, speaking about it in conversation where -- gasp! -- people might overhear -- about my true opinions and I struggle with this. It is true that if you let people know what you think you are immediately vulnerable. Your weaknesses are exposed.

But then, I still feel very strongly that to pretend that I don't have certain views is basically just walking through life afraid. Still working this one out and hoping beyond hope that it's right to have faith in people and not get all cynical and believe that the world is so bad off that there's no room for intelligent discourse.

whew! feeling a little philosophical today I guess...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

You talkin' to me?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home