Friday, November 16, 2007

I'm a helluva shot. Seriously.

Strange things are happening. For example, I called a classical musician/studio owner here in town a week or so ago to schedule an interview for a magazine piece I'm writing and he got back in touch with me this morning. After a few minutes on the phone it came out that he and I are from the same neighborhood. We went to the same elementary school and high school, we played sports for the same athletic association (he was a big shot football player who went on to play for Ga. Tech while I was courted to play softball in college but opted against it, much to the chagrin of my parents), he knew my sister in high school -- he's a good 10 years older than I -- and was at the legendary football game my two brothers played in in the mid 80s where our high school very nearly beat Marist for the regionals which was saying something since Marist was a tony private school that had the ability to recruit players and we were just a schleppy public school from the burbs. That game broke my brothers' hearts but they were both standout players and this musician remembered them. Too weird. Should be a fun interview -- always good to reconnect with folks from your hood. Funny how even the cadence of conversation is similar when someone grows up down the street even if you never even really knew them...

Anyway, thought I'd post this picture of me target shooting at my grandpa's place up in Rabun -- I really could have been a sniper I think. I have a very steady hand. I always gave my brother a run for his money -- in honor of The Killer's cover of a song my dad used to play pretty much every trip we made to the foothills in my youth. The original was sung by Kenny Rogers (we have a Kenny Rogers connection in my family which I won't go into here) and man do I love this song. Glad to see The Killer's have given it a little cred. It totally deserves it.

Exercise your trigger finger this weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

You talkin' to me?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home