Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The leader of the band


It's my Pop's birthday today. Here's why my Pop is the coolest:

when I was about 23, I got my first apartment by myself and was going through a serious what-the-hell-am-I-going-to-do-with-my-life crisis. Not handling it well I might add. So my Dad took my car to his company shop to do some minor repair and when I got it back I was tooling around town one day and dropped the sun visor and down came a folded letter. It was a handwritten note, complete with my Dad's own self-edits, reminding me that sometimes life deceives you into despair so that, if you're strong enough, you have the opportunity to really think about what's important and potentially grow and weather the storm.

We never talked about it. It remains in my photo album to this day and sometimes I take it out and read it to remind myself, not only of the truth in the letter, but that someone loved me enough to notice and offer a little wisdom and, by extension, comfort.

Happy birthday Poppa. I'm so proud to be your daughter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

You talkin' to me?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home