Friday, February 10, 2006

The great The Man

Here's why I dig The Man:

My performance review for work was today and, because I am an opinionated, intelligent and somewhat arrogant ol' gal, I was a bit worried. But something happened that had such a profound effect on me that when the review actually took place I was relaxed enough to garner compliments and recognition. I even managed to broach some sensitive issues with level-headed dimplomacy. It was a true victory.

Here's what happened -- after stressing for most of the week and kvetching my concerns to The Man, he called me this morning at 7 a.m. as I was getting ready for work and said,

"Before your review, I want you to remember this Acronym ... E.R.I.C. (Some people call the man Eric...).
E = exude confidence
R = retain eye contact
I = insist (politely) on examples (particularly for negative comments)
C = cordiality at all times"

And, while I'm sure The Man thinks that the success was simply a result of the great advice (and it was), the true triumph was the lightness I felt at having someone spend the time thinking of an acronym of their name that was relevant to my work review simply to relieve my stress.

It made all the difference. Thanks The Man.

(Thanks to Pop and Juge, too. I'll make ya proud yet!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

You talkin' to me?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home