Friday, February 03, 2006

Brave New World


Lord Somber sent me this article via email and, I have to say, I agree that the neuter is alive and well in our culture. I've seen this Joel Stein character on VH-1's many "I Love the (blah-blah)'s" as a guest opinionator. If you're unfamiliar with his particular corner of the gene pool, rent Chris Guest's Best in Show and get to know Meg Swan and Hamilton Swan (played by Parker Posey and Michael Hitchcock), the be-braced, catalogue-lovin', Starbuck's-drinkin', neurotic, new-age Leiberal power couple who blame their dog for their dysfunction.

Hamilton Swan: Honey, I'm thinking of switching to the mock turtleneck?
Meg Swan: Is that not breathing?
Hamilton Swan:Well, it's breathing now, but it'll be hot down there. I could go with the lambswool, but then again, you'll see a lot of khaki down there and this merlot looks good with the gray.

Here's an example of the neuter mentality: As I was driving to lunch today, a flash of racing yellow zipped between myself and oncoming traffic (presumably because I wasn't traveling fast enough) to get in front of me on the two-lane road we were traveling on so that he could get to Earth Fare faster (presumably to take part in the pita fajita special). As I passed the parking lot, I saw this same individual, wearing spotless Doc Marten's, chatting up the other "thugs" in many tattoos and all black clothing, the rebels. Then I looked for the instrument of his wrath -- his motorbike -- and lo and behold (gasp!) it was a scooter!! With a basket on the front! I forgot to be mad and just shook my head. Even our punk rockers have become little masochistic girly-men! I'd laugh if it weren't so sad... The movie Serenity is popping into my head for some reason...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

You talkin' to me?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home