Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Howl at the New Orleans moon

After Katrina hit, I listened to the song "Lakes of Pontchartrain" quite a bit from this fantastic group The Be Good Tanyas. The song itself is an old folk song and these Canadian ladies do it a great deal of justice. It makes me yearn for those lakes ... and I've never even been to New Orleans.

It was on one fine March morning when I bid New Orleans adieu/I was on the road to Jackson town, my fortunes to renew/I cursed my foreign money -- no credit could I gain/which filled my heart with longin' for the lakes of Pontchartrain/



So fare you well my bonnie ol' girl, I may never see you no more/I won't forget your kindness and that cottage by the shore/And at every social gatherin', a golden glass I'll drain/And I'll drink all health to the creole girl on the lakes of Pontchartrain/

~ The Be Good Tanyas

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

You talkin' to me?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home