Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Truth and Consequences

I saw the movie I Am Legend yesterday. I was told that it was not an easy movie to watch and that I might experience a little sleeplessness. I did but it was totally worth it. It's a fantastic metaphor for the light and dark in life personified by the very few on the side of light (literally, they can go out in the day and must have human interaction. Ironically, for Will Smith's character, there's none to be found) and the enormous amount on the side of the dark (again, literally, they're vampire-like and are in mortal peril when exposed to UV light).

Importantly, it makes a stand on what it means to fight for the light. Alone and without hope. But still to fight.

I loved it.

Incidentally, a female friend of mine went to see it recently as well and was making fun of some girl crying behind her. Meg, I wept like a fool. and in front of the guys I work with. Hope they don't see it as a sign of weakness...

It made me think of C.S. Lewis for some reason, probably because I spent some time this weekend with people I haven't spent a great deal of time with before and he came up as a favorite writer of mine. So I'm including this quote from The Great Divorce, which may be my favorite book of his and, possibly, my favorite of any book. Which is saying something.

"The demand of the loveless and the self-imprisoned is that they should be allowed to blackmail the universe: that till they consent to be happy (on their own terms) no one else shall taste joy: that theirs should be the final power; that Hell should be able to veto Heaven."

Light up the darkness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

You talkin' to me?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home