Monday, February 27, 2006

The death of emapthy


Okay so here's something I don't get: When did it become a sign of weakness to show compassion? And I don't mean all that white-man's burden, macrocosmic compassion for the future of the dung-beetle type of compassion -- I mean the human, day-to-day compassion for the dude who may be going through a hard time and is acting a bit cagey or the woman who's kid is ill so she's difficult to talk to (these are just examples, mind you...). Why is everything schadenfreude? Not everything is funny and sometimes people need to be given a freakin' break. Even if it's hard and you must swallow your pride a little. This ability -- I believe -- is actually the prime divide between humanity and other higher organisms, as opposed to the popular conception that the ability to reason is what really separates the species. I think it's the ability to empathize. And we waste it every day. That pisses me off.

Oh and, for the record, some things are really really funny. The ability to separate who needs to be laughed at and who just needs -- ahem -- a hug is also a decidedly human ability. As far as I'm concerned, the jackass in the red Miata pulled over by the cops can get laughed at every time.

I'm just sayin'...

2 Comments:

At 7:10 PM , Blogger LordSomber said...

"Rhetorical service to the people, masses... the poor and the downtrodden are objects worthy...; but love, pity and sorrow for individuals is sentiment beneath contempt."

http://belmontclub.blogspot.com/2005/02/easy-to-be-hard-easy-to-be-cold.html

 
At 8:35 AM , Blogger Lola said...

jesus. negative much?

 

Post a Comment

You talkin' to me?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home